Monday, January 30, 2012

10. Chalkboard labels

Another thing I got for Christmas this year was 
CHALK BOARD PAINT!
I have been itching to try it out!


So I decided to make myself some chalkboard labels for my many boxes and drawers.
I got the idea originally from here:
but I didn't have any peel and stick labels so I 
used index cards instead!
First I used my fun scissors to cut different designs around the edges of the cards.
This is the type of spray paint I used.


Next I put them on a drop cloth and gave them two good coats of paint, letting them dry in-between.


I used regular chalk to write on the labels, but you could use a chalk pen and make them much prettier!

A little bit of tape doubled-over, and voila! Erasable labels!




I tested them out as far as durability, and they work okay for what they are. If you write on them, you can erase it off, but in order to get the chalk off completely, you have to use a dab of water on a tissue, and the water will soak through a little. When I tried it on mine, it did not ruin or warp them at all. As long as you are not planning on erasing them often, I think these could work very nicely! If I made these again, I think I would try to "seal" them first with a coat of Mod Podge or clear spray paint. 





No comments:

Post a Comment