Wednesday, January 25, 2012

8. Picture Plaques

This is one project that I am soooo happy with how it turned out.

The original picture I based this off of can be seen here:



The idea of this project is to mount your pictures on wooden plaques instead of framing them.


First, I picked out my plaque from Michael's and painted it "Golden Brown."

I trimmed the picture I wanted to use and got out my Paper Mod Podge. I used Paper Mod Podge instead of  regular for this project because the "Paper" formula is made to be archival, so it is acid free and won't yellow your pictures over time.

I painted a thin layer of MP onto the plaque, and a thicker layer onto the back of the picture. I placed the picture where I wanted it on the plaque and smoothed it out really well to get out any excess MP and air bubbles. Next, I waited 20 minutes to let the MP set before I moved on. 

Once it was dry, I coated the entire plaque, picture and all, with 2 more coats of Mod Podge, letting it dry fully in between each coat. 

To eliminate tackiness, and to protect from fading, the last thing I did was spray it down with Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating, Matte.


This is how it turned out!! We just have to attach some hardware onto the back and it will be 
ready to hang up!

I plan on making a whole wall of pictures like this, so I will update again, when I've done some more!





No comments:

Post a Comment