Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Up-cycled Storage: Formula Canister


Currently I am going through a "purge and reorganize" phase in my house. HOWEVER, organization requires containers, and containers mean money. Since we are also trying to be frugal (see Dave Ramsey), I don't want to spend the money on new storage. To solve this, I am going to do a series on the different ways I turn everyday items into storage!


The first thing I tried was taking a formula canister and turning it into storage for my craft stuff. I chose to use an Enfamil container, rather than Similac, because it is smooth, and allows for recovering easier. 


First, I picked out the scrapbooking paper that I wanted to use to cover the canister. I made sure my paper was thick, so that I couldn't see the logo and writing behind it.

Next, I cut the paper to wrap around the canister, and applied a layer on Mod Podge directly on the canister. I then applied another layer of MP onto the paper, and placed it around the canister, making sure to smooth out any air bubbles.

While that was drying, I cut out an oval of paper that would fit into the top of the canister, applied Mod Podge to both the canister and the paper, and pressed it where it should go.

After letting it all dry for 20 minutes, I sealed it by coating the 
paper in another layer of Mod Podge. 


As you can see, I then stippled white acrylic paint onto the lip to mute the bright yellow. 

Finally, I sealed the entire canister (with the lid open) with a clear spray paint.


I love how it turned out, and If I do another one, then the two can stack on top of each other! I filled this one with my collection of craft glitter for now, but we'll see if that's what I keep in there for good.

You can also do this project with fabric, or even simply 
by spray painting the entire canister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment