Friday, February 17, 2012

Up-cycled Storage: Plastic Containers



In continuing with my search for cheap (read: FREE) storage, I decided to decorate some plastic food containers that I had lined up to be recycled. Now they've been upcycled!



First I started out with a powdered drink container. 

I simply picked out some colorful tissue paper, spread some Mod Podge onto the plastic surface as well as the paper, then pressed and smoothed the paper onto the container. After 20 minutes passed, I put a top coat of MP over the tissue paper to seal it in.

I have not mastered the art of Mod Podging with tissue paper, so even though I smooth and smooth I can't quite get all of the wrinkles out. Honestly, though, I like the way it looks with the wrinkles in. (Next time I will try wetting the paper first, which sometimes works, though tissue is so delicate I was afraid to try it)



Next, I painted the lid blue, let it dry, put a little Mod Podge on it, and applied my glitter. Once it was all dry again, another coat of MP sealed it in.



I repeated the same process with a puffs container.





Instead of  painting the lid this time I just used glitter (with the same process as above).  

Somehow I missed taking a "final product" picture of the puffs container. I'll add it in later!

**If you have any good ideas for upcycled storage makeovers, leave me a note in the comments section, I'd love to try it!**


No comments:

Post a Comment